Friday, April 14, 2006

 

Talking across the World

What an amazing experience. Tonight was one our family will always remember. It will go down in our childrens memory like it did in mine when I was a kid.. the first time I used a microwave, the first time I saw a VCR, and later in life when I first saw email and live chatting on the computer. Tonight was our family outing with Joel and Jessica in Taiwan. They work for a English Language school and have some of the cutest kids I have seen to work with. We did a video chat via Skype. Each child had a turn to do a show and tell or read a message/question. One girl brought her dog, another a stuffed animal, the boys in the group showed us their favorite play station 2 games and board games. One girl brought her younger sister as a show and tell.. she was a baby of 12 months old and sooooooo sweet.. we asked if she had any other brothers or sisters and we got to meet her older sister and a school mate.

We were so impressed with the children and how well they spoke. Even the younger ones .. who I think have not been having lessons long did GREAT!.. I was impressed.. and challenged at the same time.. We are definitely motivated to learn more Chinese!

Nathans birthday is on Monday so the Joel as if they could sing happy birthday to him.. They did! OH what a great memory! Wow.. Imagine being 5 and having friends on the other side of the world sing happy birthday.. in Chinese AND English!

Ok.. so I will stop going on and on about it and get to the pics I took.
Here we are getting ready and waiting. Hoping that the computers co-operate!
Here we are getting the settings correct on the computer.
"Hey Jessica!.. smile I am taking your picture!"
Catherine saying "I am SOOOOOO excited!"
Getting the mic set and letting a few of the kids practice.
Finding Texas on the Map.. Nathan said.. "Dad, its not hard to find TEXAS!" I explained that they have a different map they are use to.. the map of Asia where THEY live..Daddy then said "Is it hard to find Taiwan on the map?" .. Nathan.."Yes".. Daddy, "Well, thats what it is like for them" ..
Here is a little boy of 8 I think.. If I remember correctly his name was Neil.

So.. Thank you thank you thank you! to Joel and Jessica and the English Language school in Taiwan.. what a great experience and one we will never forget! .. Cant wait to do it again. I am sure I will have a pile of drawings and other things my kids will want to share! As well as getting a few more saying down in Chinese so the kids over there can laugh at our accents! What a great Blessing!

Comments:
That is so cool! We have done this with my Mom and Dad in Malaysia and my kids really enjoy it. :) Do you guys use Skype? I think that's what you told me you use. :)
 
Glad you had fun with it Ruth...the kids did too. It was so fun to see you guys...thanks for all of your running around and trying to get the camera and stuff like that. It was awesome.

-Jessica
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Ruth, I've read your blog, it is great! I'd like to teach you Chinese, and wish Nathan a happy birthday.

Oh! the pictures are great too! Thank you for looking my comment.
 
Hey! I'm Anita. My friend said that you look very nice. Next time I talk to you I will bring more friends to see you. I really enjoy talking to your family. Thank you for talking with us. And Happy Birthday, Nathan!
 
Hello! I'm the girl who brought the dog. It's me - Lisa! I have seen your blog. The pictures were good, and it's so cool to read what you wrote! Today is Nathan's birthday, I want to say "Happy birthday" to him, and thank you for writing about me on your blog. I wish your family can be happy forever.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Hello! I am the mask girl, NiNi, but now I don't wear a mask because I'm not sick anymore.
I have seen your blog and pictures and I wish Nathan happy birthday!
We had lots of fun on Saturday. You are so kind with us.
I hope next time I can talk with you again, but I tell you your blog is so cool, so cool!
I hope you and your family can live happily ever after.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?