Tuesday, February 28, 2006

 

Been to the Library Lately?

(I originally wrote this for my homeschool site..but after reading it I decided it needed double posting. If you are not a reader of the HS site.. I didnt want you to miss this post! .. After reading this.. go and bother a librarian! :)

AHH.. the Library.
When I was a child I loved going to the library. But why? Because it was a place I could ride my bike that was far from home. It was a place I felt safe, although a little nervous i might be too loud. They had Story Time! A Photo Copier! I was so intemidated by the card catalog but so proud when the librarian taught me how to use it! It is amazing that I was married and almost out of college before I read my first book from cover to cover.

We go to the library two and sometimes three times a week. I now consider myself a "Library Nerd". (Acording to a my friend Melissa and one of our librarians all that is required to be a Library Nerd is to have your library card number memorized).
The excitement of finding the book I need or better yet, getting a book through interlibrary loan! (You know.. the one you thought you never in your wildest dreams would be able to get your hands on!).

On our shelf in our den we have atleast 120 books checked out from our local library. "Do you really read all those?" yep. With six kids in the house, and 5 quiet reading times a week, with each kid choosing atleast 4 books apiece.. we go through the books. I have learned to LOVE our library. I wish I would have really known how valuable my time at the library was when I was a kid. I would have been much better educated for it.

Here what other people have been saying about the Library:

"I have found the most valuable thing in my wallet is my library card." -- Laura Bush, First Lady

I am what the librarians have made me with a little assistance from a professor of Greek and a few poets. ~Bernard Keble Sandwell

The best of my education has come from the public library... my tuition fee is a bus fare and once in a while, five cents a day for an overdue book. You don't need to know very much to start with, if you know the way to the public library. ~Lesley Conger

Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container. - Unknown

Libraries: The medicine chest of the soul. ~Library at Thebes, inscription over the door

To those with ears to hear, libraries are really very noisy places. On their shelves we hear the captured voices of the centuries-old conversation that makes up our civilization. ~Timothy Healy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. ~Cicero

The student has his Rome, his Florence, his whole glowing Italy, within the four walls of his library. He has in his books the ruins of an antique world and the glories of a modern one. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"In early days, I tried not to give librarians any trouble, which was where I made my primary mistake. Librarians like to be given trouble; they exist for it, they are geared to it. For the location of a mislaid volume, an uncatalogued item, your good librarian has a ferret's nose. Give her a scent and she jumps the leash, her eye bright with battle."
(Catherine Drinker Bowen. From: Adventures of a Biographer, 1959)

and my quote:
"The Library, ahh.. I would rather go there than to a spa and get a massage ANYDAY!"

Comments:
Great post, Ruth! I need to haul my bottom there and find those books you emailed me :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?