Thursday, March 31, 2005

 

"Your Doing WHAT?" and Updates :)

Your doing WHAT? Vegetarian? or maybe VEGAN? ok.. Ruth, I thought you were CRAZY for educating your kids at home, but now this! You are turning into some kind of hippie!??.. whats going on with you? What happened to the Bacon and Eggs gal I knew?

Well.. friends, I have been re-educating myself.. now I dont what you to think I am so weird as to believe everything I read! But the reading I have done is reinforcing the fact that I had to change the way I eat and the way I have been preparing meals for my family. I will not get on a soap box or anything, and I am not here to judge you and what you eat etc.. but I do want to encourage you to read up on what they feed the cattle, pigs, and chickens, and how they are prepared for sale. It is down right scary. Read and decide for yourself.

Now.. you probably think that all the books I am reading is clouding my judgment, that I am being "persuaded" by these books, but more than that I have been convinced by the way I feel. Last week I went 5 days without meat. I felt better that I have in years. Then Sunday for lunch I had a awesome home cooked hamburger, with a coke. I enjoyed both, esp the coke, since it had been week since I had one. That night I felt awful.. no energy, my tummy hurt, and I put the kids to bed and went to bed early I felt so bad. Monday I felt better but it wasnt until Tuesday that I had all the energy back that I had lost. I know .. you think I am crazy, but I am telling you the only thing that was different in those few days were the coke and the meat. It is now Thursday and I feel great. The old saying "you are what you eat". Well I have come to believe it.

For those who are interested some books I have/am reading I am sure there are more out there but these are the ones that I liked the best so far:
Fast food nation : the dark side of the all-American meal by: Schlosser, Eric.
The food revolution : how your diet can help save your life and our world by: Robbins, John.
Mad cowboy : plain truth from the cattle rancher who won't eat meat by: Lyman, Howard F.


Ok.. now for the stuff you have been wanting to hear about right? the kids and our day.

Yesterday we made a trip to our zoo.. while there we met up with one of the zoo keepers who invited us in to the room where they have birthday parties. Mr Will, (thats what we call him) let us pet a Gecko, a Hog Nosed Snake (sorry Mom) and a Dove (no PawPaw J and PawPaw V we didn't eat it!). Cat and Jo actually got to have the dove sit on their arm for a minute. What a treat!

Later in the day we had fun with our cousins who came over to play and the M's 3 girls. Needless to say last night the kids were in bed EARLY!

Cat has been writing in Chinese that Jessica wrote on the board for us on Tuesday when she came for a visit. Cat really thinks its great! She can write, "I love to study", and "God loves us" in Chinese! how cool.. Jessica we are ready for next weeks lesson! :)

We are planning a garage sale in a few weeks and the kids are going to sell cake, rolls and lemonade. They have figured on their own that a slice of cake with be .50 cents. What a deal!

Last night as I was cleaning the kitchen, Daddy was in the living room reading. The kids had been playing but it got real quiet so I went to check on them. I found all three kids and Daddy sitting all over the living room each reading their own book quietly to themselves. Now how cool is that! I just stood there and looked at all of them, trying to imprint that vision in my mind, AHHH the things that can happen if only given the opportunity.

And can I add, that I LOVE my husband! You should have seen him playing freeze tag with the kids in the front yard the other day! I wish I had my camera with me so I could have taken video of it! So fun!

Today, bread making day, and were off to see some friends. FUN!
b2bh


Comments:
Wow, Ruth!!!
I'll definitely have to come over and give Catherine a few more words to write in Chinese. That is SO cool! I didn't realize she'd be that interested. I'll give you a call in a few days and see when would be good for me to come over. Alisha and I had so much fun with you the other day! And what yummy vegetarian pizza! MMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMmmmmmm!:)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?