Friday, March 25, 2005

 

Latin, Comics, the "Ranch" and Eating Veggies.

Latin, any of you know it? I surely dont know much. But as I sat in a homeschool meeting last night a father shared his ideas on schooling at home. He teaches Latin and Math in his homeschool. That's it. Really.
I thought.. no way.. Latin and math.. thats not enough.. but as he went on to explain, latin is the root of most of our language, and as you learn latin you will naturally branch out into science, history, writing, Bible, etc.. (I have experienced using latin in art and music).. He learned latin at 29 when he was in Grad School. He has been teaching it to his child who, he said loved it for the first three years. (The farther you go in the study the more difficult, the more work, .. which I believe it good).. Wow.. Now.. I know if I showed up at a University when I was a incoming freshman and I had latin for 7-8 years, and could translate the Bible from Latin, to English and then also to Greek (which he also encourages in the later years).. Boy talk about being well educated.

So .. on this homeschooling journey, I enjoy yet another persons perspective and hope to cultivate it and make it our own. What a interesting idea.

on the other hand:

As I was jogging on the treadmill this morning a story came on about schools using comics to teach reading, and/or help reluctant readers. HUM.. To think that of all the wealth of Books out there, great stories, that teach morals, family values, etc..etc.. to settle on comics. To teach mythology using Batman? (nothing against Batman, I LOVED batman when I was a kid.) But of all the ways you could teach mythology, learning about different ancient cultures, and ancient literature...... and they use Batman. hum.. interesting.

Give me the stories of Poseidon, Zues, Helios, Hestia, Demeter, etc.. over Batman anyday.

ON a lighter note..

We have had a fun filled day. Went to a couples "ranch" this morning with K and her kids. We all had a great time. Got to feed Llamas, a baby llama (a cria), some beautiful roosters (I know some of you are probably laughing but those roosters were the prettiest ones I have ever seen)
seven or so goats, and a whole herd of cattle (some with babies). We also got to walk out to two tanks and feed the fish and discovered all kinds of ants, cacti, birds, and flowers along the way. We had a wonderful time and the kids LOVED it!

On our recent trip to the library (yesterday), I had one of those "I love my life moments". Joseph was at the computer looking up a book. He wanted a Berenstain bear book. So I glanced over there and looked and there was jo with a bb book at the computer looking at the word "berenstain" and typing it in.. I said.. "hey jo,, what are you doing?".. he said.. "I am looking up a bb bear book." I said "well, you have one right there and you know where the section is for those, why do you need to look on the computer.." .. he said "Mom, I want a CERTAIN BB book!.. you know that one about..... " I said "oh" and just let him continue.. needless to say we came home with 10 BB Books. (I guess I could say he now officially has the hang of their system huh)

Then as I was looking at books, I turned and noticed Nate on the floor, looking at a book. I said.. "honey, what ya got?, do you want to take it home?".. he said "Oh yeah Mom, its this one about the Cyclops and Odysseus!" (I think he likes that guy better than spiderman)..

And as a last little note about my life.. I have been researching a Vegitarian Diet. (some of you probably think I have fallen and hit my head or something) .. but, you know, after reading what is REALLY in our meat, .. ohh.. its aweful.. and then (while on the treadmill again) I heard the story on the news about the lady who found a finger in her chili at a fast food establishment.. We hardly ever eat out (like once every six months if not less), and I am so thankful, esp. after all the reading I have been doing about the food they are feeding us there.. yikes!

Well.. I am off to open up the windows and let some spring air in, then its laundry time again (And, of course, read read read..)

B2Bh

What fun!

Comments:
I know a man who believes when we eat animals, i.e. chickens, pigs, cattle, that we eat the emotions they had before they died. If they were afraid, we eat their fear, if they were angry at being killed, we eat their anger. hmmm....
 
Go Veggie! Go Veggie!

I love ancient mythology! Those may have been my favorite reading material as a child. That, and Enid Blyton.

Since we're so blessed to be in charge of our kids' "diet", not just physically but in every other way, why would we offer to feed them "twaddle" (comics etc) when there were better, richer options out there?

Oh, and that was a really interesting perspective on using Latin. I know Kevin wants to teach our kids Greek. Maybe I should sit in and learn too. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?